Thursday 1 December 2016

Boxing clever... Covering a box, one step at a time!

Hello all, I've recently had to start making a decorated present box, so I thought a step by step tutorial might be helpful ...I'll try and do a part 2, covering the actual decoration, just as soon as I finish the said box🌸
So, here's the original box. It's a nice sturdy one but the colour is not what I want.

Select your paper; I've used a white wall paper with a raised pattern; lay the lid on the wrong side of the paper and draw right around the shape. Measure the depth of the lid and add this measurement to each of the 4 sides, creating a border around your original shape.

Cut around the outer border line. Draw a line from each corner of your inner shape, out the the edge. Do this 8 times creating a mini box shape at each corner.

Now cut a V shape into the inner corner and trim the excess, don't worry about being too precise, these tabs will eventually be covered up.
You can also just cut out the entire corner square, I eventually decided to do this option because I intend to stick a ribbon around the edge of the lid to finish it off.

Glue the top of the lid. Use double sided tape if you wish. Because I may decide to paint effect the box, I decided to glue the paper to prevent any buckling if the paper gets wet.

Place the lid down onto the paper, smoothing and pressing it firmly in place, inside your inner line. Smooth any wrinkles out before gluing the edges (& the corner tabs if you're leaving them on)

If you're doing the tab option glue the tabs over each corner first. Wrap the wider edge of the tab around each side.

Stick the edges in place (overlapping the tabs if you've used them). Make sure you butt the edges together as neatly as possible, whichever option you use.

Now for the bottom part of the box. I'm working this out as I go along, so please bear with me!
...my box has a VERY very tight fitting lid and I know the lid will not fit on if I cover the bottom in the same way as I would a different box (ie covering the bottom of the box completely). 
I've decided to take the paper up to the point where the lid fits on to the box.
In this pic you can see the lid is on and I'm working out the measurement from the lid, down to the bottom of the box and enough to wrap underneath on to the base; at least 1.5cm. Add these measurements together for your paper width.

The next measurement you'll need is the distance around the whole box. Now cut your paper, it will be long and narrow (you can cut it in two pieces if necessary and butt them together when you stick them on to the box base).


I've kept the lid on as a guide for the paper. Paste the paper and start sticking it, pay special attention to the corners and look out for air bubbles. Smooth the paper on keeping it close to the lid edge.


Once you've stuck and joined the paper, cut down in a straight line at each corner.
Now fold in the ends and stick in place.


Do the same with the edges, until all edges are stuck down.



Trim and neaten any bits that aren't quite square.


Measure and cut a piece of paper to cover the base. The size should be large enough to cover the gap but it will look best if it is just slightly smaller than the base measurement. Stick it on and you're done!





Now I just have to figure out the decoration so watch out for part 2!
Happy box covering peoples (any questions?  ...just ask)🌸




No comments: