Monday 5 December 2016

A Christmas card to make and give...

Hellooooo peoples, long time no blog!
I hope your autumn has been better than mine ... Fibro, cold weather and Chronic Fatigue have so much to answer for!

Right, straight down to business peeps ...before I go horizontal again :)

I thought I'd do a tutorial for a Christmas card, something simple enough to do with the nippers but stylish enough to be glitzed and glammed up for the adults.

You can buy packs of plain cards to use for decorating, they come with envelopes, in many craft outlets ...which means you can get straight down to the important stuff ~ your design and decoration.

However, it is very easy to make your own cards; packs of plain, A4,coloured card are widely available, as are packs of envelopes. 

The advantage of making your own card is that the you are not restricted by any one size.
A range of A4 card, cards and envelopes.
Firstly, I'm going to do a basic design, using both a ready made card as well as a homemade one, I'll also show you how the design looks when it is made by both an adult & a child.

Tap on the template image below, save it to your device, then print it out to use.
I've kept things simple, as promised, but you could use your own and draw any shape you like. 

Stencil/template.

If you're going to use a piece of A4 card, to make your Christmas card, score the card in half and fold, place to one side before you cut the stencil.

Making the template.
Cut a piece of card, from your scrap/ old box, cut it the same size as your Christmas card front (you can place your Christmas card on top of  the scrap card and draw round it), trace the stencil design on to the scrap card and cut out the shapes you want to decorate.

Place the template on your folded card, colour in the bauble shapes or glue diamantés inside the space.
Once your paint has dried you can glitter and decorate the baubles.



Draw a string, from the top of the bauble to the top of the card, finish it of with a drawn bow. You can also use thin cord, just stick it in place carefully.

This is my finished Adult version. I didn't draw the bauble shapes on, I just stuck the diamante's straight on to the card ...leaving spaces so that you're just indicating the shape. I also used a thin cord and a bow, as mentioned below, instead of drawing it on.

This next one was made by 7 year old Connie, without any help from me.


If you need to make small bows you can use a fork to help you. Fold your cord or ribbon around the fork tines, cross over at the front and thread one end through the centre gap, under and behind the ribbon and back over the top, out through the centre gap. Fasten of, trim the ends and slide the ribbon off the fork.

I hope you use the stencil to make your own cards, let me know if anything is unclear! ...& I'd love to see your finished cards ...Enjoy x






No comments: